Natural Remedies For Adrenal Fatigue
If you have been living with adrenal fatigue, you know how physically and mentally exhausting it is.
Adrenal fatigue is the result of the adrenal glands functioning below the minimal level. You will constantly crave extra sleep.
This type of exhaustion can also lead to an inability to deal well with stress, recurring infections, moodiness, irritability, persistent tiredness, and more. The symptoms of adrenal fatigue are often quite unclear and can best be described as a general state of “unwellness”.
Did you know that you can effectively combat consistent exhaustion by regularly consuming certain herbs?
Herbs have been used for hundreds of years for a variety of medicinal purposes and contain compounds that are able to positively affect dysfunctional pathways in the body.
HOW TO BEST USE HERBS FOR ADRENAL FATIGUE
Using herbs to help combat exhaustion due to adrenal malfunction is best done through a combination method. These combinations will need to be individualized, meaning each patient will need to be evaluated and treated differently based on their specific needs.
The two basic functions of herb treatment are to modulate adrenal secretion & enhance the body’s ability to respond well to stress.
So which ones should you start taking? There are several herbs that can help fight against adrenal fatigue. Here’s a selection.
This herb has been a fundamental part of traditional medicine and is commonly used for adrenal inadequacy. Licorice has the following benefits:
- Supports and improves the functioning of cortisol – the hormone produced by the adrenals, which becomes exhausted during adrenal fatigue. Licorice helps to reduce negative symptoms, including pain, fatigue, weakness, dehydration, and brain fog.
- Boosts immunity. Individuals who struggle with adrenal fatigue may be more prone to viruses. Licorice boosts the body’s immune response, helping to fight off illness.
- Licorice reduces inflammation in the body, which helps damaged tissue heal.
Be careful with licorice. If taken too much, it can have a negative effect on the kidneys and may interact poorly with receptors in the body that help with sodium and potassium balance. If you do want to take higher amounts of licorice, you should be monitored closely for high blood pressure and other adverse reactions.
This is a well-known herb that is known for its ability to enhance memory capacity. It can help balance out the body’s ability to handle stress by lowering cortisol levels. Gingko helps to:
- Reduce fatigue and support/ increase oxygen utilization, as fatigued adrenals have often suffered severe oxidative stress.
- Protects the adrenal glands, liver, and brain from free radicals, which can cause severe damage over time.
This herb has been used for many years for its ability to reduce mental and physical exhaustion. Ginseng is known as an “adaptogen,” which helps the body to:
- Manage stress. Ginseng reduces fatigue and supports adrenal function and hormonal balance.
- Support stamina. Ginseng boosts your ability to manage physical fitness and reduces fatigue.
- Bolster the immune system and reduce depression, headache, and insomnia.
Before you start any new herbal treatments, consult your doctor or a trusted medical professional. And remember, one of the most important ways to help your body get out of the cycle of adrenal fatigue is to make a habit of eating high quality, natural foods. Try to steer clear of processed foods, excess caffeine, or items that are incredibly high in sugar. Integrating herbs into your diet along with changing your eating habits will help you put your body back on the road to recovery.
Are you experiencing exhaustion on a regular basis? Did you find this article helpful? Let us now what you think in the comments below.
Photo Credit © Jake Givens via Unsplash